Take care to download the support files. Inventory them to see what you’re working with.
Create a new InDesign document with the following settings.
Create a new library in the CC Libraries panel called CG2 Build a Magazine. As you create re-uable items, add them to your CC Libraries panel.
Go to your Swatches panel. Delete all unused swatches. Create a new swatch that’s:
- Cyan: 100%
- Magenta: 50%
- Yellow: 0%
- Black: 0%
Create these layers. As you work, make sure objects are on the right layer.
Make sure Images is above Text in the layer stack.
Activate these fonts
- Acumin Pro Condensed Medium
- Acumin Pro Condensed Semibold
- Acumin Pro Condensed Black
- Expo Serif Pro Regular
Change Basic Paragraph to Expo Serif. Now create these paragraph styles. See the descriptions below.
Make sure to base all serif styles on 00-Base-Serif. Base all sans-serif on 00-Base-Sans.
For all paragraph styles over 18pt, turn on Balance ragged lines, turn Hyphenation off. For titles, turn on Span Columns. Create an 8pt Space After.
Main Paragraph Styles
- Basic Paragraph
- Expo, Regular
- Acumen Condensed Medium 9pt
- Expo, Regular, 8/10
- Acumen Condensed Black 48/50, Blue, Track:-20
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 24pt, Blue
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 18pt, Blue, Tint: 70%, Span all columns
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 9pt, Blue, Paragraph Rule, Span columns
- Expo Regular, 8/10, 8pt first line indent
- GREP Style: "CBC" Acumin Pro Condensed SemiBold, blue
- Acumen Condensed Medium, 4 lines, Blue
- Acumen Condensed Medium, 8/11, Blue
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 10pt, Blue, Span 2 columns only
- 09-Pull Quote
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 18pt, Blue
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 8pt, Blue, Align away from spine
- SideBar H1
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 15pt, Blue
- SideBar First
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 8pt, Black
- Nested Style: SemiBold Blue up to 1 em-dash. Option-Shift-Hyphen to type an em-dash.
- SideBar Body
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 8pt, Black, 8pt first line indent
- Continues on...
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 9pt, Blue, Align right
- Continued from...
- Acumen Condensed Semibold, 9pt, Blue, Align left
Set up your Parent Pages as shown below.
- Set up the crossover image as demonstrated in class. Half of the image should be on each page.
- Set up automatic page numbers on A-Grid-Folio.
Caption frames are the size of one grid cell. There’s only one paragraph style.
The only difference with the two styles is that the text is vertically aligned to the top for one and to the bottom on the other.
Add caption frames to CC Libraries as a graphic.
There’s only one pull quote in this document. It’s on page 2. Set it up the same way we did in class. Make sure to add it to your CC Libraries panel.
Package It Up!
Once you’re done, package your files. Double-check the package folder to make sure the files are all there.