The Graphic Design Program is part of the College’s BYOD program, as such a Macintosh laptop is mandatory equipment. The base model 15” MacBook Pro is the minimum required equipment.
Why Do I Need to Buy This?
A 15” MacBook Pro is an industry-standard laptop for graphic designers. Your faculty does their best to prepare you for work in industry. As such, we want you to start using that equipment as soon as possible.
Another reason for this is standardization. It’s much cleaner to teach a group who’s all using the same equipment. While teaching, we can point to a feature knowing it will be at the same place for all students. There are no operating system variants, such as Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc…
Bring What You Got
Some students have a recently purchased laptop. Come to class with what you have, whether it’s a Windows or a macOS model. You’ll transition to the Mac as soon as it’s you can.
Likewise, if you have an older laptop, bring it to class. We’ll work with what you have until you can upgrade.
What to Avoid
If you are purchasing a new Mac, avoid the 13” MacBook Pro. It’s a great all-around machine, but its screen is too small for professional design work.
Peripherals & More…
You need to come to each class equipped with a mouse and a mouse pad of your choice. If you purchase a new MacBook Pro, Apple’s AppleCare warranty is a good idea, though not mandatory.
It will be useful to bring earphones or headphones to class so you can listen to video tutorials, if needed. Keep them in your bag.
Please allot $50 per year for an online backup service. BackBlaze is a good one. Alternatively, you can purchase an external desktop hard drive at approximately $100. Any USB 3 unit at 2TB or above is sufficient. One of the two choices is mandatory.
A basic Wacom drawing tablet (or equivalent) is also a suggested purchase, but not required. Approximate cost is $100.
No printer or scanner is required.
Where to Buy
- Apple Retail Stores
- Computers can be purchased either at an Apple Retail store (Rideau Centre or Bayshore) to take advantage of their educational discount of 6 to 10 percent.
- Apple Online Store for Education
- You can get the same discount by buying online at Apple’s online education store
- Apple Refurbished Online Store
- You can also purchase a refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple online store. These aren’t used machines. Most of them came off the production lines with a flaw. Apple repaired & inspected them. You get a warranty.
- Best Buy
- They’re an authorized Apple reseller. They offer an in-store warranty that seems pretty good.